Thursday, February 25, 2010

What kind of paint can be applied to clear acetate plastic?

I'd like to have my students paint colors on clear acetate to create a translucent image--like a stained glass window. I am of course looking for the cheapest effective paint material.What kind of paint can be applied to clear acetate plastic?
Glass,acrylics or oils will all adhere to acetate sheetsWhat kind of paint can be applied to clear acetate plastic?
I'd say your best shot is with acrylics. They dry fast, so they are convenient to use. Problem is, acrylics are opaque, so you will probably have to thin them with an acrylic medium to get them transparent. If you thin them with water, I don't think they will stick to the acetate.





Permanent markers might work too, but the color won't be nearly as rich as acrylics. And permanent markers, depending on the pigment, sometimes don't dry well and smudge around.
You would have to use an animators paint. I don't know where to get them or how much they cost but my brother in law is an animator and I do know for that type of painting they used a specific paint on their cells. It has been replaced a lot these days with computerized animation but that's the only thing I can think of that will work.
You could always use glass paints. The finished product can be peeled off of the acetate as well, and stuck on other objects.





Can buy online or at most good arts and craft stores





Hope this helps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment